Wednesday, September 10, 2008

sQuaTTeRs

So, did you guys follow the progress of politics in Malaysia? Wow. It’d been months since the general election but Malaysians just can’t get enough. And nowadays, Umno leaders in Penang call us Malaysian Chinese as ‘squatters’ or ‘immigrants’. These racist remarks are truly insulting.

I just heard a speech delivered by a course mate of mine this afternoon, and it was all about “Why should we be proud to be a Malaysian”. He brought up points such as how Malaysia is successful as a multi-racial society and all, and I've to say that I agree. I’d had Malay friends since I was in primary school and secondary school. We got along well. At times, I got closer to these Malay friends compared to my Chinese friends. We treated each others as equals. And that’s what they taught us at school. Respect other races’ traditions and beliefs. If our youngster can understand such a simple concept, then why can’t an UMNO leader understand? We, the younger generation of Malaysian Chinese were ‘made’ here in Malaysia, and most of us have not even seen the China’s mainland before. Our loyalty lies within Malaysia.

Back to this guy Datuk Ahmad Ismail. The Star Online reported that he’ll be suspended by UMNO’s Supreme Council for 3 years. To me, it’s a surprise. i was shouting to myself as i read the headline, "HUH? That’s all?" I thought people who make racist remarks or comments were always detained under ISA? I’m against ISA anyway, but I can make an exception for this one. I mean after calling us squatters and immigrants, all they have for him is a 3-year-suspension? Oh God, for heaven’s sake just expel him! Strip him off his datukship. A person with such racist mindset is not even fit to be called a Malaysian. And after all, he still owes us Chinese an apology. Having him suspended for just 3 years is really not enough. Maybe we can hang him.

I agree with Lim Guan Eng, “This is unacceptable. In fact, action should also be taken against Penang Umno and all the local Umno leaders who support Ahmad and his stand”.

I don’t know what’s happening in Malaysia anymore. I’m totally clueless of what’s to happen to us Chinese in Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails