Thursday, June 7, 2012

superhero dad

Dear Dad,

You are my Superhero. No less.

My dad had superpowers. Despite his 100kg size, he had Superspeed. He once outrun me when I was 9 years old.

He had the ability to stare into my eyes and scare the shit outta me.

He had the supersonic scream. When we argued, the whole neighborhood could hear us. I guess I inherited that from him though.


He had superhuman strength. I remember clearly how he punched me in the chest so hard, because I was rude with my mum. That particular moment, I could barely breathe.

His superhuman strength is magnificent, he could tear one comic book into 8 parts. Many of my comics became victims to this particular superpower. (I always wonder why he hated comics so much, since my first comic was his gift to me. LOL)

He had the ability to doze off immediately. The moment he lie on the couch, you can already hear him snoring.

He had the ability to wake up early too. He wakes up 3a.m. in the morning and goes off to work in his cab. He worked his ass off to feed me and my sister. He faced this ugly side of the world with positivity. Send us to school and provided us with everything we'll ever need. He'd been doing this at a daily basis for decades now.

He's the man of steel. He would never take a day off unless its Chinese New Year, and Christmas. That's 3 days off in a 365 days calendar.

He's the Superhero that protects his wife, and his children from all kinds of harm. I won't forget the day he was driving me back from school as he told me,
"My responsibility is to provide and protect you and Eunice until you all have wings of your own. All that I have is this family, and I will give all that I have to this family."
I didn't come from a wealthy family. I remember back then in primary school, he would buy me new clothes and shoes every year, even when his own shoes and socks are torn beyond repair. That doesn't even begin to describe the sacrifices he had done for me.

If he's the Superhero, I'm the Supervillain of his life. I grew up to be so different from the man he wants me to be. God knows how much heartbreaks I had given him, with all the mistakes I'd made. But he love me all the same.

This might come a wee bit too early, but Happy Father's Day daddy.

Taken at CNY 2012. ;-)

Thanks dad.
I love you.

4 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails