Friday, December 11, 2009

the meaning of 'sumire'

Dear Sumire,

Maybe some of you might be wondering why I named my blog Sumire.
What is Sumire?
Sumire in Japanese Kanji

Sumire is Japanese for Violet. This flower which is purple in color is associated with thousands of symbolism. The history of dye began with the color of purple. Therefore it is a symbol of marking something new. I intend to begin my life anew. I promised myself to start anew, become stronger, and stop causing pain to others.

We Christians associated the violet with the passion of Christ. The color symbolizes pain and passion. It’s a symbol of mourning. I know how much pain I’d inflicted to others and myself through my irrational thinking. I never thought of whom I hurt, but things are really different now. I want to make them marks in my heart. It’ll be a tombstone in my heart to remind myself to never hurt anyone ever again.

However in later era, or more precisely in the 60’s, it became a symbol of freedom. That’s what I had always wanted.

Of course violet is her favorite color. I found her. I found the flower. I found the color. I found my passion. I found my freedom.

Loving you,
Jin.

5 comments:

  1. Hey my friend. Very personal blog here. Anyways, do you want to exchange links?? Go to
    http://hstheblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/building-links-building-bridges.html
    Nice to meet ya nad have a good day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails